We all know that story – we procrastinate about getting healthy and starting preparing our own meals, but then we get home from work, it’s too late and we are too tired and we just reach for the phone and order pizza. Sad face… Well guess what, this recipe is a winner for situations like this. It’s fast, easy, healthy and yummy!
I just can’t stress this enough – when you cook, you decide about what ingredients you put in your food. You know that your turkey meat is fresh and cheese is exactly the kind you love. It’s is your decision. Being healthy is your decision! This recipe is good start. You will have dinner on the table in 30 minutes and you can pat yourself on the back! So are you ready?!? Let’s beat pizza delivery guy together!
Couple notes about ingredients. This recipe works with any pasta you like – penne, farfalle, fusilli. I used gluten-free brown rice penne from Trader Joe’s. If you don’t like turkey, you can use beef instead. I like mozzarella in my pasta, but whatever italian cheese blend will do. I used my own pasta sauce (recipe for you coming soon) but whatever good pasta sauce can be used here. I even made it with vodka sauce and it was delicious. Play around and see what works for you.
Spinach Turkey Pasta Casserole
- 1 lb penne pasta
- 26 oz jar pasta sauce (my homemade marinara recipe can be found here)
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 2 cups grated mozzarella cheese (divided)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp Italian sausage seasoning (here’s my recipe and my little turkey story too)
- 1 package frozen spinach (thawed) or 4 cups fresh chopped spinach
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Boil pasta according directions on the package to al dente stage (you want it to be firm, it’ll soften in the oven later. Rinse with cold water (to stop cooking – otherwise pasta will be mushy).
- While pasta is boiling, brown the turkey meat together with Italian seasoning.
- Combine pasta sauce and spinach with turkey meat and heat through.
- Mix together turkey sauce mixture, pasta and 1 cup of cheese.
- Put in casserole dish and sprinkle remaining cheese on top. Put uncovered in oven for 15 minutes and serve.
- Total cost – $8.70
- Cost per serving – $1.10
Recipe by sweetandsourchef.com
My kitchen helpers for this post: