Ready for easy and yummy? If you read my story about how I get the best quality turkey meat for the best price (you can find it here), you know that I have freezer full of ground turkey that I made from last 2 turkey birds I bought after Thanksgiving. Since I am not heavy-dinner-lover this soup is the winner for fast, light and warming weeknight meal.
I used rice instead of orzo or pasta, for gluten-free version, but feel free to go with whatever you like better. I have also substituted spinach for kale in the same ratio and results were fantastic.
I hope you’ll enjoy!
Turkey rice soup
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 1 tbsp Italian sausage seasoning
- 4 cups of spinach, roughly chopped, or 1 box of frozen spinach
- 8 cups chicken stock
- 1/2 cup rice
- 1tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion
- 3 garlic cloves
- salt and pepper
- Add 1tbsp of Italian Sausage Seasoning into turkey meat and mix well. Set aside.
- In dutch oven heat olive oil. Add chopped onion and garlic and saute until fragrant. Add chicken stock. Set burner on medium-high temperature.
- With small cookie dough scoop (1 1/2 tbsp) spoon turkey meatballs into chicken stock base.
- Add rice and cook for about 10 minutes or until rice is cooked.
- Add spinach, salt and pepper and enjoy!
Total cost $11
recipe by SweetAndSourChef.com
Equipment used and recommended: