Ever since I moved to Texas, my diet changed. I cook Mexican meals at least three times a week, because the ingredients are easy to get, they are cheap and most of all – Mexican food usually doesn’t require long cooking time.
The quesadillas I am going to talk about today are easy recipe that you’ll have ready in minutes and – you know me – it is versatile recipe where you can substitute and mix match ingredients to your liking.
You can obviously substitute shrimp for shredded chicken, ground beef, you can use beans for vegan option or just make all kids favorite cheese quesadillas.
Process is easy. First you get you meat part ready. I am using shrimp – so I saute them on little bit of olive oil with some salt and pepper until cooked. You obviously skip this process if you use shredded rotisserie chicken.
Once your protein is ready, you need to heat one tortilla in the skillet (this one works magic for me) with little bit of olive oil. The idea here is to soften the tortilla so it doesn’t break when we fold it in half.
Add cheese and spread evenly on one half of tortilla.
When you see that your cheese is starting to melt add your ingredients – in my case it’s shrimp and avocados. Heat through.
Add some more cheese on top. The cheese is acting here as glue and when it all melts it will hold quesadillas together.
Fold tortilla in half and flip over so you brown both sides.
Once browned on both sides remove from the pan and cut in half. Ta daaaaaaa your quesadillas are ready. I usually serve it with my yummy cilantro-lime-jalapeno sauce, but quacamole, salsa or any other dip will do just fine.
Fast Shrimp Avocado Quesadillas
- 24 medium shrimps
- olive oil, salt and pepper
- 4 large tortillas (any kind you like)
- 2 medium avocados
- 2 cups Monterrey jack cheese
For Jalapeno Lime sauce
- 1 jalapeno (seeded, ribs removed)
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- 1/3 cup mayo
- 1 garlic clove
- 1/2 bunch fresh cilantro
- fresh lime juice to taste
- salt and pepper
- Cook shrimp in skillet with some olive oil, salt and pepper until cooked (about 5 minutes).
- Clean the skillet and return back into medium heat. Pour about 1 tsp of olive oil and add tortilla. Heat through.
- Add 1/4 cup of cheese and spread evenly to 1/2 tortilla.
- When you notice that cheese is starting to melt, add 6 shrimps and slices of 1/2 avocado.
- Add another 1/4 cup of cheese on the top of shrimp and avocado.
- Fold tortilla in half and flip over. Brown evenly both sides (about 1 minute per each side).
- Remove from heat, cut in half and serve.
How to make Jalapeno Lime sauce
Mix all ingredients into blender until smooth. Add lime juice, salt and pepper to taste.
Total cost $9.99
recipe by SweetAndSourChef.com
Gear I adore and would like to recommend: